10 Quick Questions with Emma Hellenkamp
When “So You Think You Can Dance” decided to shake up its format during its 13th season, featuring dancers under 18, reactions were mixed. But even the most skeptical viewers couldn’t help but fall in love with tiny tapper Emma Hellenkamp, who ended up shuffling her way to the finale, ultimately nabbing the third runner-up spot. Emma, who was paired with former “SYT” winner and fellow tapper Gaby Diaz, wowed fans every single week with her furiously fast feet, larger-than-life smile, and sweeter-than-candy personality. Here’s a little peek at a few of this versatile comp kid’s favorite things.
Emma performing on “So You Think You Can Dance.” FOX
1. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning, and the last thing you do before bed every night?
“Take a shower. I hate going to school without a clean body. The last thing I do when I go to bed is wash my face, because with all the competition makeup I have to wear, I have to keep my skin nice and clean.”
2. What are three things you eat every day?
“Cereal for breakfast, salad/sandwich for lunch, and a bunch of snacks to get me through a day of dance.”
3. What are three things you can’t dance without?
“My lucky socks, my hair up, and dedication.”
4. In your very expert opinion, what’s the best dance movie of all-time?
5. If you were given an hour to take class from ANY instructor — living or dead — who would you choose?
6. What’s the coolest place you’ve ever performed?
“The ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ stage. It was stressful being live every week, but it was my all-time favorite stage to perform on.”
7. What songs are in heavy rotation on your playlist right now?
“The Greatest Showman
soundtrack, All Day All Night (by Tate McRae and Myles Erlick), and Sam Smith’s new album.”
8. Other than dance, what’s your favorite way to work out?
9. What’s your favorite way to spend a Sunday?
“Either relaxing with my family/friends or dancing.”
10. What has been the single greatest moment in your dance career so far?
“Being named third runner-up on ‘So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation’!”